Step 1: Answer 4 Questions To Confirm Your Eligibility


If you were denied minimum wage or worked overtime without pay, your employer may have violated state law and/or the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). In addition to potentially winning back any unpaid wages you may be owed, filing a an unpaid overtime lawsuit can help end employer practices that harm other workers.

Commonly Reported Employment Violations:

  • Misclassification of employee (exempt or non-exempt).
  • Independent contractor misclassification.
  • Unpaid work done “off the clock.”
  • Excessive side work/illegal tipping practices.
  • Improper overtime/pay rate calculations.
  • Failure to pay the required minimum wage.

Unpaid Overtime Claim Eligibility and Compensation Guidelines

Time is of the essence if you plan to file an unpaid overtime claim against your employer. In most cases, the statute of limitations involving FLSA violations is two years after the alleged incident occurred. If your employer willfully violated the FLSA, the deadline may be extended to three years. If your case wins, you’ll be awarded any back pay you’re owed for unpaid minimum wage and overtime violations. Some employees may also win damages covering legal fees and any court costs incurred in pursuit of their unpaid overtime claims.

Should You Join a Collective Employment or Class Action Lawsuit?

You can file an individual claim against your employer, but FLSA violations seldom occur in isolation. Before filing your claim, talk to your coworkers and see if they share similar concerns and complaints. Are some or all employees routinely expected to perform “off the clock” work? Is anyone at your workplace paid overtime? You may learn some coworkers are already involved in a collective or class action lawsuit. If so, you may also be eligible to join. By sharing resources as well as legal representation, collective employment lawsuits and class actions offer greater bargaining power while reducing shared costs.

Get Legal Advice and Help Filing Your Unpaid Overtime Claim

Whether you’re the first employee willing to report an unpaid overtime employment violation or simply one voice among many, you should speak with a lawyer about your options. You may be eligible for financial compensation as well as legal representation on a contingency basis. Get your free, no-obligation claim review started today. Once you’ve submitted your information, an attorney in your area will contact you to discuss your case.